When it comes to being true to yourself, learning how to stand up for yourself can make a positive difference. When you are true to yourself, your life will begin to change in ways you had only imagined before. Let these tips guide you on your most amazing journey-your life!
1.Set clear boundaries. Decide when and where you need to set better boundaries, physically, mentally and spiritually. Set limits that protect your space, feelings, time and energy. By doing so you give yourself permission to have what you want and to ask for it directly because you are worth it.
2. Vent privately first. When the situation has an emotional charge to it, it is important to find a way to diffuse those emotions before you stand up for yourself. If not, you could risk damaging the relationship altogether. Writing your feelings in a letter you never send to the person or talking about how you feel with someone you trust are two ways to neutralize the emotion.
3. Start your conversations with “I”. Remember, this is about you, not them. Be responsible for your needs and let the other person be responsible for theirs. Once you say how you feel, be sure to say what you need from the other person instead. Let the other person respond to your request and prepare yourself ahead of time for how you will process their feedback.
4. Get support! Standing up for your self requires courage. Having support from others who love you will offer you strength as you practice standing up for yourself. As you venture into this new way of being, you will make mistake and be unprepared for how others will react. A supportive partner can help you prepare and pick you up after your encounter.
5. Let go of blame. When you realize that you are responsible only for yourself, it makes being true to yourself a necessary part of your life. It’s easy to sit back and blame others for why your life isn’t working instead of admitting you never really let other know what you needed from them in the first place.
6. Be kind to yourself first. When we stand up for our truth, we are letting the world know we are worth it and we know we are worth it when we stand up for our self!
7. Tell your truth. It may be right, it may be wrong, but it’s yours. Don’t back down from what you know is true for you, in the now. Your truth may change in the future, but only the present is real and by expressing your truth now, you allow freedom for continued growth and evolution to occur.
8. Know your values. Knowing your truth is to know your values, what’s important to you and what you stand for and applying them to your work and life. When you do, you experience the power of true authenticity and so does the world around you.
9. Feel your feelings fully! Feelings are the language of the soul. By feeling them, we can recognize erroneous beliefs, thoughts and actions that are holding us back from being our truest selves and our full expression of ourselves. By facing uncomfortable feelings, we also realize they won’t kill us, but instead they tend to dissolve and set us free!
10. Celebrate who you are! Stop caring what others think. What other people think about you isn’t really about you. It’s about them. By celebrating and being who you really are and taking action on living the life you want, you actually do others a huge favor! You inspire them to celebrate themselves.
Debra Betterly, PhD is an Integrative Wellness & Life Coach and Metaphysician whose passion is to help women expand their health, joy and purpose in midlife and beyond.
You can join her free Midlife Mastery “Inner Circle” and receive your free gifts HERE
For June 2018, Debra is donating 10 free Midlife Mastery Reset 60 minute coaching sessions as part of a “People First” project. You can find out more HERE
Her free “10 Day Whole Person Detox Challenge” is offered as a body, mind, Spirit approach to holistic health. Learn more HERE