So, how do you laugh more? A lot of people believe that some silly event needs to happen in order to really have a good laugh. The truth is, you can start looking for the humor in life right now and you can laugh at just about anything. Here are a few tips:
- See your human experience as one big comedic sitcom. Do this by taking one thing you’re taking very seriously and think of how it might be portrayed in a sitcom. The more you do this the easier it will be. There is always a perspective that is less dramatic, serious or worrisome than any other.
- Recognize that your seriousness is not really helping the situation. Feeling and focusing on being angry, depressed, ashamed, blamed or playing some old victim game inside will just attract more of the same. Laughing about it just feels so much better! You release that serious grip on the expectation, belief, thought or desire.
- Remember that you are in charge of which thoughts you choose to entertain. The big cosmic joke is that you become what you decide to put your attention on! So, start opening yourseIf up to really getting in a good, deep belly laugh about anything that starts out just being remotely humorous. You’ll start having a much lighter experience of that situation which will impact your inner perception of “reality” and then your outer experience more than you know.
- Give your ego mind a “break”. Your overly serious ego mind wants to keep you blinded from knowing how to fully enjoy life. Your ego mind is lost in the world of trying to achieve, resist and become something. Laughter is not about achieving anything, it is a releasing and a cleansing. It liberates you from the ego mind and delivers you to a place of deep peace inside. Remember that feeling of release you have after a big belly laugh? If you don’t remember, it’s been way too long!
- Think of the Universe as a giant playground where you are the actor, director and producer of the play, as well as the watcher, witnesser and audience who’s seeing it all happening on stage. This massive playground exists in all directions and is within everything around you now. Pets are the best way to start. I once saw a play where the dog was the main character. It was so well done and humorous as the dog said out loud all its thoughts. So start with your pet, and imagine what they are thinking and saying about you!
Debra Betterly, PhD is an Integrative Wellness & Life Coach and Metaphysician whose passion is to help women expand their health, joy and purpose in midlife and beyond.
You can join her free Midlife Mastery “Inner Circle” and receive your free gifts HERE
Her free “10 Day Whole Person Detox Challenge” is offered as a body, mind, Spirit approach to holistic health. Learn more HERE