You have incredible power within you to change your reality by using a few simple techniques using your conscious mind to reprogram your subconscious mind. Before I share those techniques, it’s important to understand the difference between the conscious and subconscious mind.
The conscious mind is the voice of your own thoughts. It is the mind that makes plans for the future, offers you free will, critically assesses situations, observes your behaviors and considers your options, reviews past experiences, daydreams and so forth. It is the manual control part of your mind.
The subconscious mind is the opposite. While your conscious mind is manually controlled, the subconscious the part of your mind is on auto pilot. Consider for a minute what’s happening right now. Your conscious mind is focused on reading this blog post and processing the information. At the same time, your subconscious brain is busy replacing one hundred million cells every second. It’s also monitoring and controlling your heartbeat, digesting any food you’ve eaten in the last 24 hours, detoxifying any foreign chemicals out of your system, controlling your breathing, delivering nutrients and oxygen all around your body, and many, many other functions all at the same time.
And if that wasn’t enough, your subconscious mind also consists of all of your programming from birth to now. As a child, your brain downloaded an incredible amount of information needed to survive and thrive in your environment. You were able to download an unimaginable number of behaviors and beliefs into your memory because when you were young your brain frequency was slower which made your mind more suggestible and programmable. You carefully observed and downloaded all the worldly wisdom of those around you, especially parents and authority figures, into your subconscious mind as absolute truth, whether it was or not!
Unfortunately, when messages are passed on to young children such as “you are so stupid”, “you do not deserve things”, “you will never amount to anything”, “I wish you were never born”, or “you are a sickly, weak person” they are downloaded into the subconscious mind as absolute fact because a child’s consciousness is not evolved enough to assess whether it’s really true or not. These “truths” unconsciously shape your behavior, your potential and your health. These beliefs and attitudes become hardwired as synaptic pathways in your subconscious mind and may be controlling your current life experiences unless you reprogram them.
The good news is the subconscious mind can be re-trained! The field of quantum physics is now proving the connection between the mind and body and has shown you can effectively train your mind to think, believe and behave in ways that better serve you and your life!
The best way to change is to take advantage of how the subconscious mind works. You can use your conscious mind to reprogram your subconscious mind through repetition. Repetition is the key to changing your current subconscious thought patterns. The key is to change them the same way they were created, in an Alpha or Theta “reprogrammable” brain wave state.
Here are a few simple steps you can take to use your conscious mind to re-train your subconscious mind. It all takes only about 20-30 minutes a day total, but well worth the time.
1. Use your conscious mind to create a visualization of how you would like your life to be as if it is already that way, in present tense. Your subconscious mind will not be able to tell the difference between what is real and what isn’t. Make sure you feel happy and joyful while creating and repeating this visualization. Your cells will pick up mainly on the emotional aspect of this visualization (energy in motion).
2. Next, again, using your conscious mind, create 2-3 powerful affirmations or short sentences that describe your goals in present tense. For example “I am so happy and grateful I am in a job I love and earning $100,000 or more a year!” or “Isn’t it great I now have this happy, healthy body!”
3. Next, get yourself into a reprogrammable state of mind (like it was when you were a child) by first meditating or doing a guided relaxation exercise for 5-15 minutes.
4. Once you are in a re-programmable state of mind (very relaxed while still conscious of your surroundings), go through your visualization and feel how good it feels!
5. Next, say your affirmations. Again, feel how great it feels to be there!
6. Repeat every day!
You can skip the mediation or guided relaxation part by doing the visualization and affirmation right before sleep or right after waking because you will already be in an alpha or theta brainwave state. Creating new thought habits takes time. Subconscious mind reprogramming involves repeated exposure to new thoughts, images, and habits. Over time will start to feel like a natural way of thinking, being and doing things and you will find your life beginning to change for the better. When you create new lifestyle behavior changes, you not only begin to see positive changes in your life now, but these changes will become a permanent way of life.
Debra Betterly, PhD is an Integrative Wellness & Life Coach and Metaphysician whose passion is to help women expand their health, joy and purpose in midlife and beyond.
You can join her free Midlife Mastery “Inner Circle” and receive your free gifts HERE
Her free “10 Day Whole Person Detox Challenge” is offered as a body, mind, Spirit approach to holistic health. Learn more HERE