Joy is something we all desire. We are designed to be joyful. So why then, does it appear at times to be so elusive?
Maybe it’s because we are looking for it in all the wrong places. Joy is not found in the pursuit of a bigger bank account or having a perfect life, body or relationship.
Think about it. Is living a life of joy only allowed when we finally have our life figured out, have a certain amount of money in the bank, or have the perfect job or relationship?
In midlife, we know the folly of this. If you are still waiting for the perfect life before you can be happy, then you are wasting joy. Fortunately, by the time many of us have entered midlife, we realize that pursuing joy is not a destination, it’s a journey.
Joy is in the moments. We can choose joy every day. In fact, we must choose joy every day. Life is finite. We only have a certain amount of time left. Do you still want to wait until everything is as you think it should be before you can be happy?
Here are a few tips to bring more joy into your life now.
- Sit for a moment and just feel happy. Think about a person or situation that make you happy and feel the joy in that. What does joy feel like to you? Where in your body is joy? Now practice that feeling every day.
- For most people being loved and giving love brings joy. What can you do today to be more loving toward yourself and others?
- For some, being at peace with self and others brings joy. What can you do today to feel more at peace? Peace, like joy is a decision. Go to step one and feel peace.
- Maybe for you, having a life plan or life goal that is unique to you brings joy. What steps can you take today to enjoy the journey on your personal, most joyful path to fulfillment? Now take those steps and enjoy them!
- If joy still feels elusive, go to gratitude. There is always, always, always something to be grateful for, whether it’s the beauty in nature, food on the table, a roof over your head, someone who loves you, your favorite song, a comfortable bed, or the kind person at the store today.
Joy is found in life as we live it and as we share our love with friends and family. Joy is also a decision. Choose it, feel it, be it. It’s who you truly are.
The best part? When you are living a joy filled life, then you spread joy to everyone around you as well. That is the true reason to be happy.
Debra Betterly, PhD is an Integrative Wellness & Life Coach and Metaphysician whose passion is to help women expand their health, joy and purpose in midlife and beyond.
You can join her free Midlife Mastery “Inner Circle” and receive your free gifts HERE
Her free “10 Day Whole Person Detox Challenge” is offered as a body, mind, Spirit approach to holistic health. Learn more HERE