5 Tips for Getting The Most From Your Meditation
Few body-mind-spirit tools are more essential than meditation. There are so many benefits to making the time to meditate each day. I meditate for at least 30 minutes first thing in the morning. It’s a nice way to slowly wake up.Like many people, some days are easier than others. When I find my mind is wandering more than usual, I try to change it up with new ways to stay focused or guide my subconscious programming. The act of meditation opens channels to your subconscious so you can more quickly and easily imprint new habits and beliefs. Your habits, beliefs, and perceptions shape over 90% of the success and attitude you experience in your life, so it’s critical to consider re-programming your sub-conscious during meditation so you can by-pass the conscious critical, thinking mind.
Here are just a few of the physical and emotional benefits of regular meditation:
- Lower blood pressure
- Reduced cholesterol levels
- Reduction in stress
- Enhanced immune functioning
- Increased ability to focus
- Reduction in free radicals in the body
- Slowing of the aging process
- Greater creativity
- Increased energy levels
- Improved memory
- Increased sense of happiness and well-being
- Increased neural connections
Hopefully you are now sufficiently motivated to continue or begin your meditation practice. Here are five tips for making it not only enjoyable, but a productive 30 minutes spent!
- Start with the 7 breaths exercise – breath in for the count of 7, hold for the count of 7, exhale for the count of 7, hold for the count of 7. Repeat this 7 times. If you have meditation beads they will help you keep count, or you can just use your fingers. This will put your brain in a more relaxed state for re-programming.
- Visualize a beautiful, radiant, loving light pouring from above into your body through the head, down into your face, neck, shoulders, chest, back, arms, torso, hips, legs, thighs, calves and through your feet and down to the center of the earth. Then visualize the earth adding its support to the light and coming back up through your body to your heart. Visualize the heart expanding with love and the light shining our from your heart to fill up your room, your home, your neighborhood, your city, your state, your country, the world. Bask for a few minutes in the energy of this love.
- Send love to your heart. Get into the feeling of love by thinking of someone or something that you love, then focus that feeling on your heart and see you heart glow with your love. This is a good opportunity to also take any painful feeling you may be having lately, such as fear, desperation, anxiety, anger, insecurity, etc… and send love to those feelings. They are a necessary part of you and you life. Acknowledge them and send love to them. Negative emotions cannot stand up to love and they will begin to dissolve.
- Repeat your positive affirmations. Positive affirmations are statements you regularly repeat to yourself to install new beliefs. Keep them short and simple such as “I love an approve of myself”, “I earn an excellent living doing what satisfies me”, or “Isnt it great I have this happy, healthy body”.
- I love to end my meditation in the stillness of knowing I am blessed. I imagine a pink rain of blessings showering over me and filling me up with so much peace, love, healing and abundance. I let the feeling wash over me and until I feel myself overflowing with feelings of blessings and joy. I soak up all I can!
As I said, some days will go better than others, but every time you practice, you will get some benefit! Be gentle with yourself. It is not easy turning off your conscious mind for long periods of time. Just re-focus when you notice it thinking about your to do list for the day. Just take a deep breath, see a still mountain lake, or the vastness of the ocean and settle back into your meditation.
Debra Betterly, PhD is an Integrative Wellness & Life Coach and Metaphysician whose passion is to help women in midlife master their body, mind and spirit.
Her “10 Day Whole Person Detox Challenge” is offered as a free body, mind, Spirit approach to holistic health. Learn more here
Her popular Midlife Mastery Healthy Weight Program is scheduled to begin again on January 15, 2018 and registrations are being taken now. This is a 2 month program designed specifically for women 40+ who want to take control of their weight, health and life. It provides cheat sheets, exercises, worksheets, tools, planning, and support for lasting lifestyle change! Learn more here!